Skip to content Go to accessibility help
We use cookies to keep our websites easy to use and relevant to our users' requirements and to enable us to learn which advertisements bring users to our website. We do NOT use cookies to collect any personal information about you. By continuing to browse our web pages, you agree that we may use cookies for these purposes. Find out more.×

Payments sent in error

Our commitment to you

Payments sent in error can happen as a result of customers entering the wrong account details when sending a bill or transferring funds, selecting the wrong payee, or making a payment for the wrong amount.

Clydesdale Bank have signed up to a voluntary code of best practice along with a number of other banks that offer a Bacs or Faster Payments service, helping you to make internet, mobile and telephone payments correctly and - if payments go wrong - to support you in recovering funds.

Credit Payment Recovery is the industry-wide process used to recover Bacs payments and Faster Payments sent in error, including standing orders. Although recovery of funds is not guaranteed, the process ensures you will know the outcome of your claim within a maximum of 20 working days. Where recovery has not been possible, you will be informed about further action you may choose to take.

The Credit Payment Recovery process may also be used for bank errors or where a customer has received a payment in error.

Clydesdale Bank operates under the legal entity of Clydesdale Bank PLC and all data submitted to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is done so on this basis. Customers of Clydesdale Bank benefit from consistent complaints handling as our Customer Assist team acts on behalf of both banks.

Contact us

If you have made a payment in error via mobile, internet or telephone banking, or if you have received a payment in error, please call us.


0800 345 7365

24 hours, 7 days a week

This service may be temporarily unavailable during periods of routine maintenance.

You are here:  Contact us  >  Making a complaint  >  Misdirected Payments