Preventing a fire
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms installed on every level of your home. Check the batteries once a week and change them once a year, or more often if they need it. Don’t take the batteries out to use them in other things.
- Keep inside doors closed, particularly at night. That can help slow down a fire.
- Don’t overload plug sockets. Try to stick to one appliance per socket.
- Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Never smoke in bed, especially when you’re tired or have been drinking alcohol.
- Make sure wiring is safe. Only ever use a qualified electrician to carry out electrical work.
- If you have an open fire, get your chimney cleaned on a regular basis to prevent soot build up.
- Take care in the kitchen – a lot of fires are caused by careless cooks.
- Make sure candles are secured in holders and kept away from curtains, blinds or materials that might catch fire. Never leave them unattended or put them in rooms where children can reach them.
- Plan an escape route so everyone knows where to go and what to do if there is a fire. Keep all exits clear of clutter.
- If there is a fire: get out, stay out and call 999.
If you've had a fire the helpline telephone number is 0800 197 1612.
For your protection telephone calls will be recorded and may be monitored.
This publication contains general guidance only. No member of Clydesdale Bank PLC Group of companies or RSA accepts any liability for the content of this publication or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. Clydesdale Bank Home Insurance is administered and underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Plc.(No.93792). Registered in England and Wales at St Marks Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL.
Clydesdale Bank PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Financial Services Register No. 121873. Clydesdale Bank PLC. Registered in Scotland (Number SC001111). Registered Office: 30 St Vincent Place, Glasgow G1 2HL. CB Winterinfo (11/13)