Look after the security of your home
- Always lock doors and windows when going out, even if you’re just popping to the shop. If you don’t and your home is burgled, your insurer may not pay out.
- Don’t leave keys on shelves or on tables near the front door – burglars might reach them through the letterbox.
- Intruder alarms can help protect your home. Make sure they’re always switched on when there’s no-one in.
- About a third of burglars get in through the windows. Think about fitting window locks, especially for windows that are easily accessible.
- Never leave a spare set of keys outside - burglars know all the hiding places.
- Lock side gates to prevent easy access to the back of the house, where burglars can’t be seen from the street.
- Make sure you lock garden sheds, particularly if they contain garden tools that could help a burglar get into your house.
- It is important to review and make sure that your insurance continually fits your needs and that your insurance company is aware of any specific high value items you may have.
- If you are burgled, call the police immediately on 999. Don’t touch anything as you could damage or destroy evidence.
- If you are or have been burgled, Victim Support Scotland can offer help and advice. They can be contacted on 0345 603 9213.
For your protection telephone calls will be recorded and may be monitored.
This publication contains general guidance only. No member of Clydesdale Bank PLC Group of companies or RSA accepts any liability for the content of this publication or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. Clydesdale Bank Home Insurance is administered and underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Plc.(No.93792). Registered in England and Wales at St Marks Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL.
Clydesdale Bank PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Financial Services Register No. 121873. Clydesdale Bank PLC. Registered in Scotland (Number SC001111). Registered Office: 30 St Vincent Place, Glasgow G1 2HL. CB Winterinfo (11/13)